Airbnb Wins Legal Victory In New York City

New York Rangers sign Derek Stepan to two-year contract

The new zone will include the current NYISO zones G, H and I in the Lower Hudson Valley and zone J in New York City. The PSC and NYPA said the state is already working on New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s so-called Energy Highway initiative to expand the state’s transmission resources to bring more power from upstate New York to the Lower Hudson Valley and New York City area. The PSC and NYPA said the Energy Highway could negate the need for FERC to offer financial incentives to build more power plants downstate. “We strongly urged FERC to reconsider its decision to create a new capacity zone in New York, which it says is needed to build more power plants downstate to alleviate demand for electricity,” PSC Chairwoman Audrey Zibelman said in the release. “We are well aware of the downstate demand for electricity…However, in its decision, FERC did not take into consideration the ongoing initiatives included in the Governor’s Energy Highway,” Zibelman said. The biggest power companies in New York include units of Consolidated Edison Inc, National Grid Plc, Iberdrola SA, Entergy Corp, TransCanada Corp and NRG Energy Inc. COSTS TO RISE The PSC said if FERC’s plan goes into effect, typical residential customers in the Lower Hudson Valley could see monthly bill increases ranging from 5 percent to almost 10 percent, depending on the utility. The increases for industrial and commercial customers could be even higher, the PSC said. “Creation of a permanent new capacity zone undermines the Governor’s Energy Highway initiatives,” Gil Quiniones, NYPA president and chief executive, said in the release. “The Energy Highway pursues a long-term solution to deliver lower-cost, upstate power to the downstate area by reinforcing the transmission system, Quiniones said, noting the new capacity zone will “take money out of the pockets of ratepayers and result in a windfall of profits for existing power plant owners in the region.” The NYISO plans to implement the new zone by May 1, 2014. The PSC is asking FERC to delay implementing its decision until 2017 and consider how the Energy Highway proposals will affect long-term power prices.

new york airbnb rentals

New York’s Environmental Control Board ruled Thursday that Airbnb user Nigel Warren was permitted under city housing laws to rent out a portion of the apartment through the service because his roommate was present at the time. Warren’s landlord had been facing a $2,400 fine following an earlier ruling . The decision is a significant one for Airbnb, which has been frustrated in New York by a law stating that residents can’t rent out all or part of a property for fewer than 30 days. Airbnb has argued that the law is meant to crack down on landlords who buy residential buildings and run hotels out of them, not on individual tenants. Google+ Market indexes are shown in real time, except for the DJIA, which is delayed by two minutes. All times are ET. Disclaimer LIBOR Warning: Neither BBA Enterprises Limited, nor the BBA LIBOR Contributor Banks, nor Reuters, can be held liable for any irregularity or inaccuracy of BBA LIBOR. Disclaimer . Morningstar: 2013 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer The Dow Jones IndexesSM are proprietary to and distributed by Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

New York seeks delay of costly FERC power capacity zone decision

Or so it sometimes seems. This week, Ann Friedman compared New York to “that guy I went out with only briefly and then successfully transitioned into friendship,” as well as a prom king who “knows he’s great, and he’s gonna make it really, really hard on you if you decide you want to love him.” Last year, Julia Allison and Julia Price warned women to stay away from Manhattan if they’re looking for the “Sex and the City” fantasy, noting that “rent-controlled apartments like Carries are as hard to come by as a good-looking, well-adjusted single guy over the age of 35.” (Carrie, for what it’s worth, once said that if “you only get one great love, New York may just be mine. And I can’t have nobody talking shit about my boyfriend.”) The queen of not staying too long at the Fair is, obviously, Joan Didion. Her seminal essay, “Goodbye To All That,” inspired a book of the same name that includes 28 writers’ perspectives on loving and leaving New York. All 28 are women. I couldn’t help but wonder (thnx Carrie) if more women write about leaving New York than men because of what the move implies: the search for a work/life balance that’s often impossible to achieve in the city unless you’re mega-rich and especially difficult to obtain if you’re a woman. Even women who don’t want to get married or have kids feel more conflicted than the men I know about sticking around into their 30s and 40s. I asked Sari Botton, the editor of the Seal Press anthology (full title: Goodbye to All That: Writers on Loving and Leaving New York ), why all the contributors are women. She said it wasn’t her decision; she had a few notable male authors interested, including Shalom Auslander, Nick Flynn, Stephen Elliott and Luc Sante, but wasn’t able to land a deal for a co-ed book (she’ll be including men in an event on October 23rd at Greenlight Books ). Huh: maybe women don’t love to write about leaving New York as much as publishers think women love to read about women writing about leaving New York. Sari said she hates to generalize and that she doesn’t know whether more women than men feel conflicted about leaving the city. “In fact, three of my favorite essays about leaving New York are by men The Colossus of NY by Colson Whitehead, My Lost City by Luc Sante, and Goodbye to 48th Street by E.B. White,” she wrote in an email. “I think that for some of those women who are conflicted, the city is like the cute but shitty boyfriend you have a hard time both holding onto and moving on from. And when you do move on, it’s often because you’re headed to a more settled stage of life, where you’re trying to achieve a work/life balance most can’t afford in the city.

Is Dumping New York City a ‘Girl Thing’?

Scott Lev/NHLI via Getty Images NEW YORK (AP) — Derek Stepan is back in the fold with the New York Rangers, agreeing to a two-year contract that should have him back on the ice in time for the season opener. Negotiations had been tense in recent days as the sides worked on a deal to get the restricted free-agent forward signed and into training camp. A contract was finally worked out Thursday, one week before the Rangers start the regular season at Phoenix. The 23-year-old Stepan, expected to be the Rangers’ No. 1 center, led the team with 44 points last season and was second to Rick Nash with 18 goals while playing all 48 games of the lockout-shortened campaign. He had been seeking $3.5 million per season, while the Rangers were offering around $3 million. The new deal is for a total of $6.15 million – $2.3 million this season and $3.85 million in 2014-15. Signing Stepan was a critical move for the Rangers, who are starting the season under new coach Alain Vigneault without captain Ryan Callahan and speedy winger Carl Hagelin – both recovering from shoulder operations. Stepan set career highs last season with a plus-25 rating and six game-winning goals. He tied his high with four power-play goals. Stepan went over the 40-point mark for the third straight season, tying for the NHL lead with four short-handed points. In 12 playoff games, Stepan had a career-best four goals – including winners in Games 3 and 4 of New York’s first-round victory over Washington. In 212 regular-season NHL games overall, Stepan has 56 goals and 140 points.